Emergency and disaster management briefing for December 14, 2016
- A man was shot and killed by a Coppin State University police officer on Tuesday evening. The incident occurred in Baltimore, MD as the uniformed officer was patrolling a city street adjacent to the university to help prevent vehicle break-ins. The vehicle in front of the officer's patrol car stopped, the passenger alighted and began shooting at an oncoming car. The officer exited his vehicle and shot at the gunman, who was later pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the vehicle fled the scene.
- A 3-hour standoff in Las Vegas, NV ended peacefully when a gunman surrendered after a successful SWAT negotiation. Police were responding to a domestic disturbance call when the alleged suspect opened fire on police. After the initial exchange of gunfire with police, the man ran into a neighbor's home, where one of two occupants was able to flee and the other was held at gunpoint until the man surrendered. Officers had approached the house cautiously after being made aware that the man was "agitated" and had access to firearms.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for the bombing of St. Marks Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo, Egypt. Egyptian authorities released a video of a man identified as Mahmoud Shafik Mohamed Mostafa entering the church, and moments later the blast occurred. The bombing is the worst, and deadliest, attack against Christians since 2011, and ISIS has warned the nation that more is to come.
- On Tuesday morning, a small earthquake shook the eastern city of Asheville, NC. The U.S. Geological Survey noted that the 2.6 magnitude earthquake was centered about 25 miles northwest of the city, in Cove Creek, NC, and located at about 3.8 miles deep. The shaking was felt in downtown Asheville, but no damages or injuries were reported. It was the second tremor felt in a week in western North Carolina after a smaller 2.1 magnitude quake occurred about 10 miles north of Lenoir, NC on December 6.
- A young boy has died after being buried under a thick layer of snow in Upstate New York. The boy was building a snow fort with his friend on a dead end street in Greenwich where, according to police, a snow plow was plowing the area at approximately the same time, around 5 p.m. A K-9 found a sled near the mound of snow after police were summoned to the area by a 911 call regarding two missing boys. First responders pulled the unresponsive boy from the snow and he was transported to Saratoga Hospital where he was pronounced dead at around 10 pm. The other boy was found conscious and alert a short while later. The incident is under investigation.
- A local Lewisville firefighter dining at the River Ridge Tap House in Clemmons, NC is credited with saving the restaurant patrons from carbon monoxide poisoning. Shortly after arriving at the restaurant for a friend’s birthday celebration, the firefighter, Lonnie Wimmer, noticed patrons acting oddly, holding their heads, appearing nauseated and sick. Recognizing the symptoms, and after beginning to experience nausea himself, Wimmer called for assistance. At least six ambulances and a medical emergency bus, one of only eight in the state, arrived on scene. After evacuating the restaurant, first responders found carbon monoxide levels to be five times the level that is deemed safe. 31 people were treated and more than a dozen of them were hospitalized in medical centers around the area.
- During an attempt to serve a warrant at a Nashville, TN motel, a police officer was shot and wounded. A tip regarding an individual with several warrants led officers to the motel, where upon observing drug activity in the room, they began a search. Officers entered the room and upon opening the bathroom, the alleged suspect opened fire on the officers. After firing at officers, the suspect turned the gun on himself, dying from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. The officer is listed in stable condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- Results are in from the lead level testing of the water in the Canandaigua City Schools in New York that took place in September and October. Dozens of the school’s sinks show lead levels that are well above the 15 parts per billion threshold. Three drinking water fountains also tested above the considered safe lead levels. The school immediately shut off the water fountains and designated the sinks as hand wash stations only, marked with the proper signage. School officials pointed out that water supplied to the school district was within normal quality ranges for all sites. Testing to determine the source of the lead contamination has yet to be scheduled due to an increased demand for water supply lead level testing.
— Rick Ritter (@RickRitterWJZ) December 14, 2016
— CITIZEN-TIMES.com (@asheville) December 13, 2016
— SusanKnowles (@SusanKnowles) December 13, 2016